Question
Posted by: Willem | 2009-03-19

When to put a dog down

I own a Bull Terrier that is 15yrs old and I want to know when do you decide to put a dog down. The reason is that I am starting to see that she is beginning to suffer with problems to her eyes and hips. Some days she' s up and about and other days not. I don' t want to feel like a murderer and on the other hand I don' t want her to suffer.

Dear Willem

Put him on Gerivet and Mobiflex and see if that helps first. Do not mkae the decision to put him down too quickly.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-23

Yea, WR - well said. That grandparents comment troubled me too, but I couldn' t be bothered at the time to say so - it' s totally irrelevant and inane, in this context.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2009-03-22

Sympathetic -
" We don'  t put our parents or grand parents down when their health begins to fail" 
Silly thing to say.
MANY (if not most) people keeep their animals alive for their own (human) needs - and that is unfair.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-19

I know you' re probably stressed about this - we all are, when our dogs get old - but as long as you put her interests first, you will KNOW when the time is right.

Obviously, keeping in touch with your vet is called for - he' s in the best position to judge if anything remains to be done, and is also going to take a more objective point of view.

Whatever happens - best of luck, and remember, letting a beloved dog go when the time is right is actually the greatest gift you can give them. Take comfort from that fact.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sympathetic | 2009-03-19

I agree with the vet. We don' t put our parents or grand parents down when their health begins to fail. Make her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

I really wish you well  you obviously care a great deal for your dog or you wouldn' t have asked for advice in the first place. I' m sure it' s painful for you to see that her time to go has nearly arrived.

Whatever choice you make will come from your heart so rest assured it' ll be the right one.

Reply to Sympathetic