Posted by: Emily | 2013-01-10

When to get pregnant

Hi. I have an 7 month old baby. We would like to have another one. The problem I have is that im 37 and I am worried that if i wait too long to try again the risk of either not getting pregnant or having a baby with neurological problems increases. I am also scared of going back on the pill while waiting to try again as i had problems getting pregnant the first time. Had to use clomid. My question is, how long must we wait before we try again? I heard that one should wait at least 18 months, which I dont think i have considering my age. Please advise!

Dear Emily
In the event that you are breast feeding it would be advisable to attempt conception once you have weaned off and also allow yourself 2-3 months thereafter. It is also important to take medication to stop breast milk reproduction. This can be prescribed by your family doctor or your gynaecologist. You should allow a period of at least 9 months in which to conceive after having stopped breast feeding. Thereafter some form of fertility treatment may be necessary.
Answered by: Dr M.I.Cassim