Question
Posted by: Exerciser | 2010/12/09

WHEN TO EAT

Hi, I want to start going to the gym again. My problem is that my day time eating is erratic. However, I am always hungry in the evening. If I eat before I go to gym, it feels as if my supper wants to come out of me and I am uncomfortable while exercising. If I dont eat, I feel weak and unable to exercise properly. Please give me direction as to when to eat and maybe also what I should eat and how long before exercising. Thank you so much.

Dear Exerciser
It is good to hear that you have started to attend your gym again, because exercise is always beneficial. To prevent yourself from getting so hungry in the evening that you need to eat Before you go to the gym, you will have to make quite sure that you eat a balanced breakfast (cereal or porridge with low-fat milk or yoghurt, wholewheat or low-GI toast with low-fat cottage cheese and fruit juice or fruit) and a balanced lunch (wholewheat or low-GI sandwiches with tuna or egg or cottage cheese or peanut butter and salad, fruit and low-fat yoghurt). If these balanced meals still leave you feeling hungry before exercise, then have some low-fat yoghurt, or Pro-Vitas with cottage cheese or dried fruit and a handful of peanuts, or an energy bar at about 4 pm. Then go to the gym and when you have recovered from the exercise (drink some diluted fruit juice or an energy drink during and after gym to keep your blood sugar and electrolyte levels steady and prevent dehydration, then you can eat a light evening meal (e.g. pasta with lean meat or a vegetables sauce, a scrambled egg on low-GI bread with salad, yoghurt with fruit or lean meat or fish with boiled vegetables and/or salad, etc).
Hope this helps

1

Dear Exerciser
Hope this helps