Question
Posted by: jack | 2009-08-05

when to diagnose anti depresants

My girlfriend was at a doctor in the week and the doctor prescibed her some anti depression pills. i am no expert but i want to know what the criteria is when putting someone on anti depresants. she has stress at work and at home. we dont live together and when she is with me she is completely happy. i know there could be underlying factors where diagnosing depression is concerned and its not always obvious to the layman, but can a doctor prescribe anti depresant pills after seeing someone only once for the length of an hour? i was really shocked when she told me that the doctor gave her a prescription for anti depresant medication. she has a lot of stress, but does this make her depressed?

Dear Jack
"Antidepressants" are not always only prescribed for depression, but can also be used for anxiety and other problems like chronic pain, fibromialgia and insomnia. It is usually safer to use than the addictive anti-anxiety tablets like valium. Did he tell her that he thinks she is depressed?

1
Posted by: jack | 2009-08-06

Yes Dr Bets, it was a female doctor that prescribed her with the pills, she has none of the other problems you mentioned, just a stressfull environment at home and at work, more so at work. ok so as you say its not only prescribed for depressed people only, but then wouldn' t talking to a psycologist or psyciatrist be helpfull in talking about a stressfull situation and help her handle it rather than putting her onto medication and sending her back into that situation with no idea how to deal with the stressfull situation?
Thank you,

Reply to jack