Posted by: Candy | 2010-10-29

When is the perfect time for IUI?

performed an IUI last Friday, 22 October 2010, but I wasn''''t happy with my Doctor''''s calculations. Please advise when is the right time to try again because I don''''t think something will happen this time around.

My last period started on 10/10/2010 (My flow is 7 days)
On the second day of my period 11/10/2010 I started taking Fertomid which I took for 5 days, the last one was taken on the 15/10/2010. On the 16/10/2010 I started counting for my fertility and according to my calculations we were suppose to perform IUI on the 21, 23 or 24 of October 2010 but my doctor said lets do it on Friday 22/10/2010.
I am not sure when exactly I ovulated but its between 25 and 26/10/2010 do you think the sperm was still alive?

I am planning to try again next month, when is the perfect time to perform an IUI? My expected next period is 11/11/2010, Cycle Length is 32 or 33 days and my Luteal Phase is 17 days, please advise

Dear Candy

You calculations are perfectly correct. However since there could be minor fluctuations within a fertility cycle with regards to ovulation, my advice would be to actively monitor yourself for ovulation. This can be done either by repeated ultrasound scans or alternately by means of the urine LH detection kits. These urine tests are fairly accurate and can be purchased over the counter and importantly can predict ovulation ±40 hours prior to the actual release of the egg. Sometimes the use of fertility medication such as Fertomid can result in earlier than expected ovulation and monitoring should therefore start from day-10 of your cycle.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim