Posted by: Terence | 2009-01-12

When is the best time to go to the gym?

I was wondering when is it best to go to the gym?

After or before supper?

Hi Terence

This is mostly a practical issue. After supper means that you have to go pretty late - it's probably not that easy to train within an hour of eating (depends on what you eat), so if you ate at 6pm (an early supper), the earliest you train is 7pm, and finish by 8pm. So that's pretty late, and many couldn't sleep if they trained that late.

So I think it would be better to train before, though again, this depends on your own scheduling. The other consideration is that if you train after supper, it's likely that you'll need some more to eat afterwards, whereas if you wait to eat after training, then that's what you eat, and the overall balance is better.

Ultimately, there's no right or wrong here, just what works for you, and I suspect it's like to be before.

Posted by: cyclist-in-training | 2009-01-13

It' s best to go before supper - have a snack before gym, and then eat supper after - if it' s not too late, or too close to bedtime.

Reply to cyclist-in-training
Posted by: Terence | 2009-01-13

I can only go in the eve. So is it better before or after supper?

Reply to Terence
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-01-13

I would say in the morning when you are still fresh and energetic.

Reply to Zexeon