Question
Posted by: Esme | 2010/09/06

When is the best time to exercise?

I need to lose at least 40kgs. Way overweight according to me, not necessarily according to my dietician. But I just dont know when is the best time to exercise. I am office bound the whole day and cant really leave my desk, unless I want to go to the loo. So that means very low activity during the day. So when is the best time to exercise... morning, day or evening? Before or after eating??

HI Esme

The answer is practical - you exercise when you can and when you will do it.

Some people can't train at the end of the day - they're tired and they'd find reasons not to. Others can't exercise the morning, they find reasons not to then. So you have to train when you can, and when there's the least chance of skipping it!

In theory, before you eat is better. However, there are practical issues there too. If you train int he morning, for example, it can be really tough to train without eating, so it's sometimes necessary to eat something very small about 30 minutes before you train. But then you have to schedule an additional 30 minutes - you see why it's more important to be practical?

So my advice is to train before you eat, unless that becomes difficult in the mornings, in which case have a small snack. Eat after training to replace the energy and help recover better. In terms of time of day, there's no best time, just the time when you actually do it!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/13

HI Esme

Reply to fitnessdoc