Question
Posted by: Yoghurt freak | 2011-09-24

When is it too much?

I am currently battling to lose wieght. When I don''t know wat to eat I have yoghut - up to 1litre per day of the low fat variety. It tastes like ice cream. I also have a thing for 2min nooodles. Are these hampering my diet efforts? Am I having too much of these?

Dear Yoghurt Freak
Low-fat yoghurt is a healthy food rich in protein and calcium, and low in fat, so you can eat up to a litre of low-fat yoghurt per day. One litre of low-fat yogurt contains approx. 2650 kJ per day or 42% of your daily energy requirement if you are an adult women trying to lose weight. So if you are having the litre of low-fat yoghurt together with other foods that already provide your 6300 kJ per day, then your weightloss efforts will be hampered and you may even gain weight. Check the energy content on the packet of 2 minute noodles that you use and multiply by the number of packets you eat in a day, to see how many kJ you may be adding to your diet. If you just eat the one litre of low-fat yoghurt and 1 or 2 packets of the 2 minute noodles, then you won't be exceeding you energy requirement, but although yoghurt is an excellent food, your diet won't be balanced. So do try to eat a variety of healthy, low-fat foods to lose weight.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-09-25

Dear Yoghurt Freak