Question
Posted by: Mommy Dearest | 2008/09/10

When is incontinence a serious problem?

I am a 58 year old woman with incontinence caused by coughing, sneezing, sudden movement. I have to wear pads, especially when away from home. I am not overweight and find that the pelvic exercises are not helping. My GP feels it is not serious therefore surgical help is not necessary. When is it a serious problem?

Expert ImagezIncontinence

Incontinence is not normal. It is concerning to hear that the pelvic exercise is not working! The two different types of pelvic exercise we are now talking about is the pelvic Kegel exercises is to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor. – done incorrectly, they can be harmful.
Biofeedback isn't just strengthening but relaxation and much more, it is a very different process than Kegel exercises. Using Biofeedback we isolate the correct muscles and have an accurate sense of the level of work the muscle is experiencing. With the BioFeedback will receive a series of BioFeedback-assisted neuromuscular re-education training sessions, complete with an individualised home exercise programme which involves using specialised equipment which monitors internal physiological functions. If you simply strengthen the muscles without learning how to relax them, you may make your incontinence worse.