Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2008/07/17

When i get hot/cold i get an itchy rash

I have a problem with an itchy rash that appears all over my body when I get hot or cold. The rash is usually small red bumps all over my body except on hands and feet. The worst parts are on my neck and inside of my arms and legs, basically where I have less hair. During exercise my ears also start to feel hot and my cheeks get flushed a dark-red colour. It usually lasts for about an hour then disappears- it is extremely itchy and causes me alot of distress. Sometimes in extreme conditions like swimming in the cold sea in Cape Town, the rash becomes more like welts and my skin gets ' lumpy' . I' ve been to a dermo, was diagnosed with urticaria and prescribed antihistamines- believe me I' ve tried them all! Nothing works. I have spoken to every doctor and pharmacist I' ve ever met since it started, even spoken to friends at med-school about my problem. I' ve also been to a homeopath and took some health supplements. The problem is that most seem completely disinterested in helping me and seem to be completely clueless about what i should do?

So a quick rundown:

1) My problems started in Jan 2004 after I had a hot bath after strenuous exercise.
2)I have tried changing washing powder/soap/shower gels/deodorant.
3)If I exercise to the max, like almost to exhaustion, the problem amazingly disappears and I get a chilled-skin feeling.

I' m not expecting miracles, but perhaps you could advise me about who I should see next in this long battle- one I intend winning.

Frustrated

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is possible that you have developed eczema that is caused by the fluctuation of body temperature. This condition is very difficult to treat and I suggest that you ask your GP to give you a combination of Diprozone and Celestone injection, as this might alleviate your symptoms.

Kind regards