Question
Posted by: Lee | 2008/10/06

When do they prescribe fertomid?

Morning doc,

When does a gynae prescribe Clomid/Fertomid? Don' t know exeactly what they suppose to do but I read about them often.

I was on the Nuristerate injection for 4 years which i stopped Dec 2007. I went on the Evra patch for 3 months. Since April 2008 we' ve been trying to conceive. I' ve been to the gynae - everything is 100%. My cycles were 39, 28, 41, 30, 28 days. My gynae didn' t prescribe anything. Obvious I didn' t ovulate some months but I thinks its getting normal now? (I hope so) I' m 28.

Do you think I need some fertility tablets? I did an ovulation test this months and showed 2 lines on day 10 already.

Thanks for your wonderful advice.

Dear Lee

If you are ovulating as established by the ovulation tests, then it may not be necessary at this stage to use clomid/fertomid. These plugs are used for patients specifically who have ovulation dysfunction and are considered to be ovulation induction agents. I would recommend that you continue with the ovulation monitoring and timed intercourse and should conception occur within the next 3 months, I would recommend further investigations, in particular a semen analysis. Occasionally, the Nuristrate injections may have a prolonged effect on the endometriam (lining of the wall) which will spontaneously return too normal. Further investigations should include some form of tubule patency evaluation either by means of an X-Ray or an HSG or alternatively a laparoscopy.

Answered by:Dr Cassim