Question
Posted by: Stix | 2006/05/24

Q.

When do puppies eyes open?

When will our pups eyes open? When do they start walking around and from when can I feed them pronutro?

Expert's Reply

A.

The eyes will open at about eight days of age and they will start walking shortly thereafter. They should rather be fed proper puppy food designed for puppies of this young age, and that can be started at about four weeks of age. Follow the instructions on the pack.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
user comments

C.

Posted by: Chill | 2006/05/26

Pronutro was the standard food for puppies in years gone by, before special puppy foods were available. There is no question that the commercial foods made specially for puppies are infinitely better for them, so rather wean your pups onto one of those.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Debbie | 2006/05/26

When I got my puppy she was raised on pronutro and the vet suggested that we put her on eucanuba and we did. She battled to go to the toilet for a week. We had to take her back to the vet for Intestinal formula. The vet said it was because she was raised on pronutro. It might be good for humans, but I don't think it is that great for dogs.

Reply to Debbie
Posted by: Carol | 2006/05/24

8 to 10 days ish ,... and they will start walking around soon after getting steadier daily .

Rather give them a puppy cereal than pronutro with no milk,and that you can give from 4 weeks , it depends on the size of the puppies tho and the size of the litter, larger breeds can start eating from about 3wks to give mom a break.

Reply to Carol

Want to comment?