Question
Posted by: Want to treat | 2010/09/10

When can cat start having milk?

Hi, Doc

My cat is currently 3 months old and I see so many of my friends giving their older cats cow''s milk. I only give my cat Royal Canin pallets and add water sometimes for a " wet"  treat.

When is a safe time (if there is such a thing) to start giving my cat cow''s milk?

There is no need to give your cat milk. Milk does not offer any nutritional value and it can cause digestive disturbances. Just use the water

4
Posted by: jean | 2010/09/15

Have had cats for over 50 years - and always given some milk. My 19 year old gets her mildk, and my 2 feral adopted orphans get their milk. Yes, some cats do not tolerate it, then stop immediately - so watch it. I start with diluted milk/water - and dilute less and less as they get older - and in having more than 15 cats - NEVER had one not tolerating. They need to drink water - get their milk - probably 50 to 100 ml between all of them in the mornings- and all my cats have aged well..Except for intolerance of some cats, I need proof that it harms them - and my cats have always been fed with top premium brand foods from my vet, yearly check ups, vaccinations, 4 x yearly deworming. old cat has monthly checks - all doing WELL.

Reply to jean
Posted by: ruby | 2010/09/14

Cows milk is for baby cows, not cats. Many of them are lactose intolerant so it isn''t good to give it to them. They may like it, but it''s best not too (let''s face it, we like cake but that doesn''t mean it''s good for us!)

Reply to ruby
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/09/11

Cats get runny tummies if they get cows milk especially at such a young age. Its just not worth it. Stick to water.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/10

Reply to CyberVet