Question
Posted by: Tom | 2009-02-03

When am I officially a man

Hi, im 16 and a couple of years ago I thought that at 16 I would officially become a man, however this obviously is not the case and there are still signs of just being a teen for example when I work out I dont build that much muscle, when is it that I officially become a man and will get things like a beard fully grown muscles and muscles that I can train to become a great deal bigger. also im 6" 2, will I grow any taller than this, I play in the lock position for my school rugby team now obviously a couple of years ago this would be the perfect size for a lock that age only now quite a few players have overtaken me in size and im worried that i might lose my place in the first team as size is such demanding factor in todays game.
thanks

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Tom,

physically guys can keep growing until about 24 years old, but most people are developed by about 21 or so. It is important to not overtrain when weight-training and remember that at 16 you are still developing.

Whilst size is one factor in rugby, skill is also essential so keep training and practicing as without skill teams don't win!

best wishes

2
Posted by: A | 2009-02-04

Dear Tom,

Officially, I would say maybe 21, that' s when the body stops growing. Technically you are officially a man when you' re born (mainly because you' re born with a PENIS!).

Legally, you would qualify as a man (as opposed to minor) at 18.

Anon

Reply to A
Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-03

You generally stop growing when you are 21. There are no fixed timelines when you will become a " man" , each person is different and you still have alot more time to grow and develop.