Posted by: Barry | 2009-09-22

Wheezing, coughing and now sweating

A while ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis. I was wheezing terribly and my coughing would not allow me to sleep at night.
The second doc I saw (I fired the first one :) gave me a some meds (Theoplus) and something for coughing, alergies, etc.

The Theoplus seemed to be the best bet and I was (thought I was) beating my ailment.

Last night I didn' t take any meds to see if I was getting better.
Firstly I started getting cold (on a warm evening) then later my coughing returned and I was dripping in sweat (no added blankets).

I used to have night sweats during the height of my illness but never though anything of it and never mentioned it to my doc.

Do you have any ideas to what my problem can be?

Lung test - better than average. Also have had xray which was normal.
Wheezing - a lot, mainly at night
Coughing - wet cough, mainly at night
Sweating - a lot at night

Dear Barry
Night sweats is one of the signs of possible TB infection, so please ask the doctor to send away some sputum to the lab for microscopy, culture and sensitivity. TB can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. It can also be a sign of pneumonia or bronchitis though. Also ask him to prescribe an inhaler like Venteze for the wheezing - you can use this with your Theoplus. Have you had any antibiotics?

Posted by: Barry | 2009-09-23

Hi. Thanks a lot for your help. Much appriciated.

I did have a chest xray and no signs of TB. Is this OK or do you still recommend a sputum test?
Have completed a course of antibiotics when initially diagnosed with bronchitis.

I don' t understand. When I take Theoplus it does help with the cough but... also seems to stop the night sweats, how I don' t know.

I feel as healthy as a horse (not that I would know how a horse feels) and my lung capacity test surprised my doc and I as it was very good. (I am a smoker)

Reply to Barry