Posted by: crazycatlady | 2008-10-30

wheat intollerant& pregnancy

I am wheat intollerant and have been for some years, Im noit sure if its an allergy but I bloat up, nausea, headaches, very upset tummy etc etc, the usual. My partner and I are thinking about having a baby, but as I am 34 we do feel like time is ticking away. Im still not sure if parenthood is for me, but i want to get as much medical information as I can inc ase we do go ahead and ' try' ! I have been researching and seem to have read over and over again that simple intollerances can often develop into ful blown coeliac disease in pregancy. please can you advise me? I will be making an appointment with my doctor at some point but this is all early days research. many thanks!

Dear CrazyCatLady
I think the first step for you is to see your medical dr and to have an accurate diagnosis made by means of allergy tests to find out exactly what kind of a wheat allergy you actually suffer from. Once you have this info it will help the dr to decide if you already have coeliac disease, if you are likely to develop it during a pregnancy and what preventive measures can be taken. If your wheat allergy is severe or if you already have coeliac disease it is vital for you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to guide you through your pregnancy and work out diet prescriptions that avoid the offending foods, but still provide sufficient nutrients to ensure that you and the baby are healthy.
To read more about wheat allergy click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about wheat and related allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: .
Hope you fall pregnant!