Question
Posted by: C | 2011/05/21

Wheat intolerant?

HI, my daughter who is 8 has a history of stomach problems. She has been hospitilized twice with sever faecel impactment. She was placed on a hih fibre low gi diet which we stick to most of the time. Recently her stomach aches have been quite severe and as we had seen the paed quite a lot as ongoing issue, he felt it ok to supply me with pegicol and picoprep to use when the symptoms occurred again. I personally feel that this is stress related, she is a highly stressed little girl and with her father, with whom she is very close, working away a lot it seems to flare up when he is away. She has had the same symptoms again over the past few weeks and so I gave her the pioprep and she seemed fine for a few days. THe paed (after many tests including sonars and xrys) thought that the problem as a result of her not emptying her bowels properly each time she goes to the loo. She is very busy and I know that she doesnt stay on the loo long - soi I have put books etc in the bathroom for her to read. We have been back at our gp today as she wasnt well generally and I mentioned the stomach ache that is backagain. He was quite short with me and suggested a diet, but wouldnt listen when I kept saying that she eats well etc - he continued by saying that mothers dont always get it right etc etc..... I feel quite infuriated with him and discussed the possiblity of her being wheat intolerant (brown bread was one of the things that she is to eat daily). He quite blase said that I should cut out wheat and then we can monitor......

So this is what we plan to do - cut out the wheat products and let her have wheat free crackers and that sort of thing for school lunches. I am just worried that during this time she nutrionallywill be missing out on some nutriets that the seed break etc would have given her.

Her symptoms are stomach ache, bloating, flatulence and nausea when the stomach ache is severe. She is quite a small child but isnt underweight.

Thank you in advance for reading all this, and would appreciate any comments if you could.

Dear C
Faecal impaction is a severe form of constipation and the original treatment that was recommended, namely a high-fibre, low-GI diet would seem to be the best long-term solution. Most high-fibre foods contain unsifted wheat bran, so if you now start cutting out all wheat and its fibre, I am worried that this will make her constipation and faecal impaction even worse. Have you had your lassie assessed by a registered dietitian? If not, then please visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. I think it is important that the dietitian does a diet history and helps you to find a diet that is high in so-called insoluble fibre, which is the type of fibre found in wheat bran that promotes normal bowel movements. I also think that what you say about your daughter being very stressed and angry with her Dad, may well be a reason for her faecal impaction. A child psychologist (ask your Paediatrician to refer you), should evaluate if she is avoiding having bowel movements as a result of her stress and anger. The psychologist will assist her to work through her anger and to learn less damaging coping techniques. So please take your child for some expert assistance, because repeated bouts of faecal impaction are a danger signal that something is seriously wrong, which needs to be solved so that your daughter can start living a normal life and get her digestive tract to work normally too.
Holding thumbs for both of you

1

Dear C
Holding thumbs for both of you