Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/07/15

Wheat free vs ray vs low gi seed

Hi doc Ingrid

Like i said in previous mails. I am on low gi/low fat.

Was just wondering what is the benefits of cutting out normal breads like Albany and low gi seed loaf and change to wheat free breads or Rye.
I dont indulge in bread, but sometimes i feel bloated after having one slice of low gi seedbread.
But now....what if i cut out the bread but not other wheat products like my wholewheat pronutro?

I spoke to one of my co workers yesterday and she said after she cut out wheat the weight just drop off. Does wheat make you fat? Does one need wheat in their diet?

Another thing. If i changed to Rye. I would like to eat it toasted and warm. I dont like the taste so much. Now the best time to do this is in the mornings when i am still at home. Do you think it is stupid to eat your lunch in the mornings and my pronutro at 12 o clock?

So baie vrae, ek is nou self deurmekaar met wat ek eintlik wil weet .....he he he

Why is it so damn difficult to lose weight?

Dear Annemarie
There is no reason to cut out wheat if you are not intolerant or allergic to wheat or gluten. If you find that the Low-GI seed bread gives you wind, then it could be a whole series of ingredients that you are reacting to besides the wheat, namely soy protein (which is added to lower the GI), or the seeds. You mention that wholewheat Protnutro does not seem to cause a problem, so I doubt if it is wheat that makes you bloated. It is, however, not necessary to eat wheat bread and you can try the gluten-free bread or rye bread instead. If you find that the gluten-free bread also causes bloating, then you will know that you are NOT sensitive to wheat and that it must be another ingredient in low-GI seed bread that is causing your problem. You can by all means toast rye bread, if you find that it improves the taste. Bread and other wheat products that have a low-GI and are not eaten with loads of fat (butter or margarine or mayonnaise, etc) are not fattening because they are carbohydrates and carbs have the lowest energy value of the 3 so-called macronutrients, namely 16 kJ/gram vs 17 kJ/gram for protein and 37 kJ/gram for fat. So it makes sense to cut down on fat intake if you want to lose weight and rather eat low-GI carbs and protein.
Hang in there with the weightloss

1

Dear Annemarie
Hang in there with the weightloss