Posted by: Ang | 2009-04-29

Wheat Free ?

Hi, What is wheat free, is it the same as Gluten Free? My son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and a lot of suffers have told me that wheat often bothers them so I would like to minimise wheat for a while to see if there is any improvement.

Dear Ang
Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale. It is rather difficult to exclude wheat and these other grains from the diet, so I would recommend that your son should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). He should in any case be under the care of a dietitian if he has ulcerative colitis. Also do a Search on the Health24 site with 'Ulcerative colitis' and click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance' to read more about wheat allergy.