Question
Posted by: Ashleigh | 2009/11/05

Wheat, Egg and Milk Allergy

I had a food allergy test done about a year ago, and i' m only 15. I had it done because I just could not handle my eczema and it became worse over the last 4 years. The results were positive with wheat, eggs and milk. I went to the dietician' s at the local hospital and she said to completely eliminate these products from my diet for improvements of my eczema.

I have been off these foods for about 9 months now, and have only witnessed that when I eat wheat, my right eye swells up, is this common?

The other thing is that I just can not tell which of these foods triggers my eczema. I have tried but can not tell. Which food do you think it could possibly be?

Thanks so much,
will really appreciate your help,
Ashleigh

Dear Ashleigh
It is indeed a difficult situation that you suffer from 3 different food allergies because it restricts your food intake and therefore also your nutrient intake so drastically. I don't know if you are living in South Africa or in another country, but if you do live in SA please consult a Dermatologist for your eczema because food allergies are not always the only reason for this condition and in some cases patients get less or more allergic to certain foods over time. Also consult a dietitian in private practice (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, or if you live in another country find out where your nearest dietitian in private practice can be consulted).It is essential that either the Dermatologist or the dietitian should check if you are still allergic to all 3 foods and the dietitian needs to work out a replacement diet for you that still provides all the nutrients you need for healthy growth seeing that you are only 15 and that excluding wheat, eggs and milk can have negative effects on normal growth.
Please consult a Dermatologist and a dietitian to help you control your eczema and whatever allergic reactions you may have to foods, but to still eat a balanced diet.

1

Dear Ashleigh