Question
Posted by: Fancy | 2011/06/03

Wheat and dairy free diet!

I just find out that I''m wheat and dairy intolerant and don''t know what to eat.Please help me on a wheat and dairy free diet.I don''t know what to and not to eat.

Dear Fancy
I am sorry to hear that you are both wheat and dairy intolerant. Having multiple food allergies can be very tricky which is why I would firstly like to recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with adapting your diet to avoid the offending foods, but to still obtain all the nutrients you need to remain healthy. For example, cutting our all milk and dairy products can results in a calcium deficiency which can in turn lead to brittle bones in the short-term and osteoporosis in the long-term. The dietitian will explain what other sources of calcium you can use and what types of supplements may be necessary. In the meanwhile Click on 'Diet'n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk and wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about food intolerance and allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1

Dear Fancy