Question
Posted by: Fancy | 2011/06/03

Wheat and dairy free diet

I''ve just find out that I''m wheat and dairy intolerant and don''t know what to eat.Can you please help me?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Fancy,
Firstly, thank you Caro for responding while I have been preoccupied with a number of urgent work-related matters. Your advice appears sound, and the DietDoc forum might be able to provide some further advice on a healthy diet for such intolerances/allergies. My one piece of advice is that you attend a allergy clinic and have the diagnosis of wheat intolerance confirmed. In my unit we have often had patients who have claimed to be wheat intolerant, but when we investigate further, this is often not the case. I am not suggesting this might be the case with you, but it is always a good idea to get a second professional opinion. Perhaps consider consulting with a GIT specialist.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/06/13

Hello Fancy,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: Caro | 2011/06/03

Dear Fancy
It may be a while before the expert responds but here is my advice for what it''s worth. 1. Google search
2. I too am wheat intolerant. And my children are both allergic to dairy. They have always drunk soya milk. The taste takes some getting used to but they refuse to take cows milk even if they could. Make smoothies with the soya milk at first to get used to the taste - banana, vanilla and soya milk. Try different brands as the taste varies significantly. Find out if you can still eat yoghurt because my daughter can as she is not allergic when the form of the protein is changes (or some reason like that). Your local Pich ''n Pay will source products for you or try their best. Woolworths also has dairy free products.
3. I have given up bread and the good thing about it is that I have lost so much weight! I feel more energetic and am starting to run now as well. Cutting out wheat takes about 8 weeks to get used to but now I no longer crave sweet things - It revitalises your liver giving up wheat. I eat maize pasta and maize, rice or rye crackers (PnP and Checkers have Pyotts). Rice, potatoes and sweet potato with beans/lentils are better forms of carbohydrates than bread anyway. In SA bread''s salt and sugar content is more than anyone''s normal dietary requirements anyway (it was on the News just last night).

Good luck.

Reply to Caro