Question
Posted by: wheatie | 2008/10/07

wheat and chocolate

Can you please tell me if it is possible for wheat and sugar to cause sinusitus. Sometimes i just feel like eating junk and i will have cake, puddings, chocolate, biscuits. Every time without fail I get sinusitus. What is the mechanism here? My noce does not run it gets swollen at the back and I get the sinus pain.

Dear Wheatie
It is perfectly possible that you are wheat sensitive or intolerant or even allergic, which can manifest as an increase in nasal secretions which then leads to sinusitis. I doubt that you are allergic to sugar, but you may also be allergic to other ingredients that are common in the foods you list (for example soya or colourants or flavourants). Besides avoiding these foods, it may be an idea to ask an Ear Nose & Throat Specialist to do a checkup and if necessary to test you for food and other allergens (dust, pollen, etc can also play a role).