Question
Posted by: Jane | 2011/02/11

Wheat &  dairy-free slimming diet

Dear doc, I''ve been told by my doctor to cut out wheat and dairy from my diet in order to do an intolerence test. I''m now beyond a month, and because I have lots more energy, I''d like to continue eliminating these elements from my diet for another month. But I''m still very overweight. All the slimming diets I could find contain wheat and dairy. Do you have a slimming diet without these two? I''m taking calcium and Omega 3 supplements.

Dear Jane
It is interesting that you find that you are more energetic when you cut out wheat and dairy products. I would also be interested to know what the results of your intolerance tests were? If you are for example, intolerant to wheat then cutting out all wheat products would make you feel much better and thus increase your energy levels. However, applying a strict wheat- and dairy-free diet is very complex (wheat intolerance can also include intolerance to rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, titricale), as you have probably realised by now because practically all processed foods contain some form of wheat or dairy. You are basically restricted to using unprocessed foods that you prepare yourself such as maize porridge, maize grits, sorghum porridge, fruit, vegetables, lean meat, fish, eggs and plant oils. In view of the complexity of a wheat and dairy-free diet I would recommend once you have the results of your intolerance tests, that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will provide you with a slimming diet that avoids the foods you are intolerant to and also ensure that you don't develop deficiencies. Click on 'Diet'n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk and wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .
It is a good idea that you are taking calcium if you are on a dairy-free diet as dairy products are the best source of bioavailable calcium in the diet.

1

Dear Jane