Question
Posted by: TSHEPI | 2008-12-03

wheat allergy-toddler

I HAVE JUST DISCOVERED MY BABY IS ALLERGIC TO WHEAT, SOYA BEAN AND LACTOSE.

I NEED TO KNOW WHICH FOODS WILL BE BEST FOR HIM IN ORDER FOR HIM TO GROW LIKE A NORMAL BABY.
HE IS 8MNTHS OLD.
HE LIKES NIBBLING ON THESE PURITY BISCUITS WHICH HIS DOCTOR SAID I MUST STOP.
AND HE ENJOYS THEM SO MUCH.

I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ALTERNATIVES FOR SUCH THINGS
BISCUITS, CEREAL.
MILK ATLEAST I GOT FOR KNOW.
BUT WHAT MILK SHOULD I GIVE HIM ONCE HE IS 1 YEAR OLD?

Dear Tshepi
Multiple food allergies in a small baby are very difficult to handle and if at all possible I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you select foods that exclude wheat, soya beans and lactose (all dairy products and cow's milk) because once you stop breastfeeding you will have to be extremely careful what you give your son and your choices will be very limited. Pureed fruit and vegetables, rice cereal (check that it does not contain any soya or milk), pureed cooked meat, fish, and eggs are probably the only foods he will be allowed to eat. This would expose him to a calcium deficiency (milk and dairy products and fortified soya milk are the best sources of calcium in the diet) and you may have to give him a calcium supplement (check that the supplement does not contain any lactose). So because it is so difficult to feed children with multiple food allergies a diet that is nutritious enough to promote good growth, I would really recommend that you do consult a dietitian. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .