Question
Posted by: Aiysha | 2011/06/05

wheat allergy

is wheat allergy contagious?

Dear Aiysha
I apologise for only answering your question now, but your 2 questions did not appear on the 'off-line' screen I work on and I only noticed them when I opened the website message board. Wheat allergy cannot be transmitted from one person to the other like a virus or a bacterial infection. However, the tendency to allergies and intolerances can be transmitted genetically from one generation to another. If you have an allergy to wheat it is possible that your children may also develop allergies or intolerances, but not necessarily to wheat. They may be sensitive to other allergens (dust, house mites, grass, etc) and the way the allergy/intolerance manifests itself can also be different. For example a parent who gets a rash from a food like wheat may have a child that develops diarrhoea from the same food.
So none of the other people you come into contact with will develop an allergy to wheat, but there is a possibility that your children may develop similar allergies.

1

Dear Aiysha