Question
Posted by: Yo | 2011/02/18

Wheat

Hi there,

I recently realised that my body reacts really bad to wheat, do you have any sudgestions on things that contain wheat that I shouldn''t eat, and maybe stuff that I can eat to replace things like bread (i''m vegan)? I have cut out all the obvious things with wheat in it, but I am scared there might be things with wheat in it that is not that obvious.

Thanks a lot!
Yo

Dear Yo
If you are wheat intolerant or allergic to gluten, then you will have to check every food label carefully because most processed foods like bread contain wheat. Individuals with a true gluten allergy (gluten is a protein that is found in a variety of cereals), need to avoid all foods that contain wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale. This basically leave maize, rice and sorghum as safe grains. Click on 'Diet'n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1

Dear Yo