Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2010/01/18

Wheat

Morning Doc, blessing for you this year.
Your Slimming Diet recommends bread, but I am wheat intollerant.
Please advise what will be the best to replace the bread with.
God bless

Dear Celeste
Thank you for your kind wishes, which I reciprocate. If you are wheat intolerant, but do not suffer from Coeliac disease as such, then you may be able to eat 100% rye bread. If you are severely wheat intolerant then you will have to use rice or maize cakes (check on the label that they do not contain any wheat) or the gluten-free bread that is available in some supermarkets or other carbohydrate foods such as maize grits, crushed cooked sorghum, brown rice, cooked mielies (corn on the cob), or cooked sweet potatoes. For breakfast you can use unsifted maize meal or sorghum meal to make porridge.
You will have to be inventive when it comes to lunch, but instead of the suggested sandwich and salad, you can have a baked sweet potato or 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice, maize grits, or a cooked mielie or cooked crushed sorghum together with the protein and salad. Legumes (dry, cooked beans, peas or lentils) can also be used as substitutes for bread.
I hope this helps

1

Dear Celeste
I hope this helps