Question
Posted by: Ansie | 2009/11/05

Wheat

Hi, I am wheat intollerant and have IBS, I know I must have more carbs. and fibre in my diet but do not know which foods I can eat to increase my fibre and carbs. without having the wheat, e.g. bread, provita, pasta and so on, it just seems to me that most fibre foods have wheat in it. Please help. Thanks

Dear Ansie
If you suffer from a wheat intolerance and IBS then it is advisable for you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that avoids all wheat (and possibly also rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, titricale), but still provides adequate quantities of dietary fibre to promote regular bowel movements to combat the IBS. Foods such as fresh and dried fruit, vegetables, unsifted maize meal, unsifted sorghum meal, and legumes (dry, cooked or canned beans, peas and lentils as well as soya) are good sources of dietary fibre which do not contain any wheat.

1

Dear Ansie