Question
Posted by: worried girl | 2010-03-28

whats wrong with me

Hi doc, i have been experiencing the following symptoms, anxiety, dont want to be alone, constantly worried about everything, feel like something bad is going to happen all the time, affraid of death of anyone close to me or getting injured, i sometimes feel like dying, feels like im crying or screaming inside. these symptoms have been going on for a while but i had a baby 6 months ago and it is now much worse than before, i constantly worry if my baby is ok. if i am alone i am on high alert listening out for any noise, my heart races and sweating starts. do i have some kind of disorder?

Sounds rather like an anxiety disorder ; and you'd do best to arange to see a good local psychiatrist for a full in-person assessment and treatment advice. Fortunately, if it is an anxiety disorder, this responds very well to Cognitive-behaviour therapy ( CBT ) a good form of talking therapy, and to drugs also used to treat depression, which are usually more useful than the sedative tranquillizers GPs often prefer to try.

2
Posted by: Lin | 2010-03-29

It sounds like you might have PND (Post Natal Depression). Try and leave baby with a friend or family member and go and see your housedoc. He/she will access you and if the need be, he/she will refer you to a psychologist or counsellor.
It is really important to see your doc as this might get worse if left untreated. The doc can prescribe meds and some meds don''t interfere with breastfeeding (the most popular one even increases your milk supply).

Reply to Lin