Question
Posted by: T | 2010-02-22

whats best

Dear fitness doc

i gym around 3-4 times per week and do wight training as well as 15-20 minutes of cardio. i am female and naturally struggle to loose (and keep) weight off. i have an eating plan worked out by a nutritionist but my question is what is the ideal way to loose fat, i.e. should i be increasing or concentrating on cardio until i loose the required weight or should i carry on as is?

Hi T

Cardio is the number one priority in the early phases of weight loss programmes, because it's what actually lifts the metabolic rate and burns the energy. Later, as you lose some weight, the weight training is more important because it helps to elevate the metabolic rate, and also improve muscle tone and definition, which, if we're looking at the programme, is likely an important goal too.

So my advice is to increase the cardio until you hit maybe 45 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week, and then do one or two weight sessions per week for now.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-02-23

Hi T

Reply to fitnessdoc