Whats Best??

I have been advised to take :

Omega ?? Is that fish oil? Which one is best?
Decent Multivitamin - again which one is best?

I am severally anaemic - I suffer from exhaustion, insomnia, hair loss, bad menstrual cycles (16 days at a time) and low sex drive.

Are there any other vitamins/minerals I could take to help me improve my health?

I work out between 3 and 5 times a week and I am now on a good healthy eating plan (not a diet)

I am using the Body For Life book as a starting point.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Reader
If you are severely anaemic, then I trust that you are under the care of a medical doctor, because you may need to initially receive iron by intravenous drip. If you have not seen your gp about the anaemia then please do so. All the symptoms you describe point towards iron-deficiency anaemia and they will not clear up until your depleted body iron stores have been replenished. One of the best iron supplements also contains folic acid which helps with its metabolism, namely Ferro-Folic. You may have to take such an iron supplement for 3 months or longer because it takes a long time to fill your body iron stores again. In addition it is a good idea to eat iron-rich foods such as lean red meat, liver, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals and bread (all wheat bread and maize meal in SA is fortified with iron, vitamins A, B1, B2, niacin, folic acid, pyridoxine, iron and zinc, so eat some every day), and dried fruit, esp raisins with pips (chew the pips). Have a food which is rich in vit C (citrus fruit or juice, guavas, pawpaw, berries or spanspek) with your breakfast cereals to help your body absorb iron from the food you eat. As regards the other suggested supplements, I would not take the Dolomite if you are also going to take a calcium supplement (use "MenaCal.7" which also contains vitamin D and vitamin K2). Omega-3 fatty acids are important to boost your immunity and you can take any one of the Salmon oil capsules available at your chemist. If you also still want to take a multivitamin and mineral supplement, you can try Centrum or Supradyn Forte (the latter has higher iron content than standard Supradyn), but once your diet is well balanced you don't really need additional supplements. But attend to that anaemia ASAP as it can ruin your life, esp if you are so physically active.
I hope you will start feeling much better soon.