Question

Whats Best #2

Thanks for the advise on the vitamins.

As for my anaemia. That' s where the problem is coming from. I get given blood tests and told I am anaemic. My lips and inner eyes are almost always white etc. I even get heart palpitations and feel like I cant breathe (something heavy on my chest) and all my doctor keeps telling me is take iron supplements which I do. They don' t seem to be helping and I have now wasted thousands of rands for my Dr to get giving me the same answer each time. She isn' t listening to me when I say they not working.

I am at a loss, because you right, anaemia can and does ruin your life!

Can solving my iron issue stop me from bleeding so much and so heavily?

Dear Reader
If your doctor is not listening to you and if you have not had tests to determine why you are so anaemic then you need to get a second opinion ASAP. The primary reasons for anaemia are: 1) Inadequate diet lacking in iron that is biologically available, folic acid and vit C (can happen if your diet is unbalanced, or eating a strict vegetarian diet), or in some cases people develop megaloblastic anaemia which is due to a deficiency in vit B12 or an inability to absorb vit B12 from the diet. 2) Constant bleeding - in pre-menopausal women this is often due to heavy or too frequent periods and if this is the case you must see a gynaecologist for treatment. Other sources of blood loss in the body are internal bleeding from conditions like ulcers or colon disease. It this should be the case you also need a diagnosis and the correct treatment. 3) Loss of blood due to excessive physical activity esp running. I seem to recall that you are very active and many athletes need to take constant iron-folic acid supplements to keep from developing anaemia due to damage to the red blood cells sustained during the impact of running, etc. So if no one has so far pinpointed if your anaemia is due to iron or vit B12 deficiency and what is causing it (diet, or bleeding), then for your own sake please see a physician and demand that you get answers. In regard to your last question: while resolving your anaemia will make you feel physically better and improve your other symptoms, it will NOT stop menstrual bleeding which is usually caused by hormonal factors or conditions such as endometriosis, etc. These a gynae will have to sort out for you.