Posted by: Worried sick | 2013-02-13

What would do or you say

I''m sitting here at work, but i can''t focus. there was an unfortunate incident today, my daughter (8) did not tell me she was not feeling well this morning-tummy problem (scared i will forbid her from taking part in the school athletics), took part in the race and came out victoriuosly but unfortunately messed herself up. i had to take her to the bathrooms after the race to get her cleaned up and home.
Happy that she got a medal, but now i am sitting here worried sick how is she going to face her mates in school tomorrow, how many realised the incident, and how much of the mockery is she going to get.
I want to talk to her, to help her keep strong, just in case the situation bad but i have no freaking clue where to start or what to say. What does a parent do in this case?

We all of us do things, usually for virtuous or at least understandable reasons, which seriously embarrass us. And we need to learn to get through that and get over it. Lets not assume that everyone will know about this ; or that everyone who does, will feel the need to mock her ( many will be thinking : Crumbs, what if it had happened to me ! ) Work with her to select a calm and dignified response that can deflect any snide remarks she does encounter. Something like : " Imagine, if I can only concentrate on doing just one thing at a time, how much even faster I might have run !". Or : "I must talk to my trainer - on a different diet I could do even better. Both ways." Or whatever.
The less she shows serious embarrassment the less fun it will be for any of the handful of nasty kids every school has, and the sooner it will all die down and get forgotten

Posted by: Tom | 2013-02-18

When i was in Grade 8 i got left behind by the bus whilst on school excursion. The teacher only remembered that i was not there after they arrived at the next destination. I was in the loo so i missed the bus. the other kids made fun of me and i was so embarrassed. but today i look at it and think back and laugh.

Reply to Tom