Posted by: SR | 2010-09-17

What type of headache is this?

Hi there. I am a 26 year old woman. In April 2008, i was hospitalized and it was found that my cortisol levels were much lower than normal. Doctors did an ATCH stimulation test 3 days later which came back normal and the issue was " closed" , albeit with some confusion on the part of the doctor. Shortly after being discharged, i experienced the worst headache of my life. Since then I have experienced this type of headache at least once a month (its not related to my period). The headache is usually only on the right side of my head and intensely throbbing, especially when i stand and try to walk around. Its feels like a pulsating kind of pain. There is also intense pain in the right side of the back of my neck and behind my right eye. The pain gets so bad around my eye, such that i can barely move my eye. The pain gets worse when i use contact lenses. The only thing that fixes it is a good nights sleep. The headache pain isnt " dull"  - its more like a burning, throbbing pain, that often leads me to hold onto objects close by so that I can walk/move around. I dont have the migraine type symptoms of vomiting and aura though. I am nor sure what this is. It seems to be a combo of migraine, tension and cluster headaches. Sometimes there is nausea but most of the time i can manage to eat something.
Should i see my GP?

I suggest that you consult your doctor, as it is possible that it is pain that is radiating from your cervical spinal to your head. You mention pain at the back of your neck, as well as the cervical area. Physiotherapy in this area, could prevent your headaches and alleviate your symptoms.

Posted by: Bozo | 2010-09-17

It sounds like a cluster headache. Please do a google on Cluster Headaches.

Reply to Bozo