Question
Posted by: Tia | 2009-10-07

What type of exercise can I do?

Hi.

I am 44, female, unfit and overweight.
The thing is that I have bad allergies (Asthma since 2 years old) and take the max of cortisone allowed to control same i.e. a daily cortisone inhaler, cortisone nasal spray, prednisone tabs as required and 4 cortisone injections during the year. Cannot get by without less. As you will know it plays havoc with your weight (some 42 years later). Everytime I start gym I get sick and then I get really really sick. My gym actually " fired"  me as I missed 2 months. I actually wonder what exercise I can do and how much to do. Walking - I love walking, but I need to tone up. Can walking do the full job? If yes, what do you suggest that I start off with? Early morning better with my allergies, I know that pollen counts very high late afternoon/evening? Swimming - the chemicals affect me. Cycling - did it in the gym. Hate to say it but I have lost a disk in my disk (my only other prob) but its ok if I walk and the neurosurgeon told me that one day he will have to do a fusion but its not imminent. What can I do at home that will really help me tone my arms, TUM, legs. As I said I am thinking about walking but have no idea for how long and how many times a week. I am 1.76m and need to lose 15kg at least. I carry my weight well due to my height.

I know its hard to give me advice like this, but please just get me started! I have the right walking shoes, the will and my diet is good (I went to a dietician) and I do drink water. I have lost 7kg.

I do not know why I get so sick in a gym, I hear its normal. But heck, 2 weeks and I pick up some infection. Had flu, then bronchitis and then started pneumonia. Must be me I guess or the germs that lurk in the gym, I dunno.

Or its psychological, I find it boring and would rather be walking.

Hi Tia

I think the most important principle of all is that if you are going to be successful, you must choose what you enjoy. That means walking. You've said often in this email that you love walking, and so it seems you've found the answer.

The problem is that people want to know what works best and on paper, we know that some exercises burn energy more than others. But this is practically irrelevant, because this is a long term path you're about to embark on. Therefore, you must do what it takes to do it for a long time. And then in this case, walking is the choice. The biggest predictor of success is enjoyment, because it guarantees that you will do it.

So my advice is a walking programme. I'd check out the site, you'll see under "Programmes" a set of options, and I'd go with one of those. They also contain exercises that you can add for the arms and abs, but for now, I think the walking is a good thing.

You obviously have a weakened immun

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-10-12

Hi Tia

You obviously have a weakened immun

Reply to fitnessdoc