Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/09/07

What to tell husband

Dear Dr Bets

I wrote a while ago about persistant left upper abdominal pain that goes into my back. One of the things you suggested was chronic pancreatis. I did go back to my GP and she sent me for a gastroscopy first to rule out a hernia, gastitis and ulcer. The tests came back all clear. The gastroentoroligist said that when I descirbed my symptoms his first thought was pancreas and as the gastroscopy ruled out anything else with similar symtoms, he wants me to go for a CT Scan of the abdomen tomorrow.

I have 2 questions.

I have none of the risk factors for pancreatic cancer, do young non drinkers get it? (I am 38) and will a CT scan pick up gallstones if the ultrasound a few weeks ago was clear?

Hallo BMJ
Pancreas cancer is usually seen in older overweight men who smoke and have bad diet habits (high fat, low fruit and vegetable intake, high sugar drinks) Your risk for pancreatic cancer is very low. CT scan will pick up gallstones and any other abnormalities in the abdomen. Good luck with the scan and let me know what the outcome was?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/07

Hallo BMJ