Question
Posted by: old but not yet cold | 2008/06/18

What to look out for prior to menopause?

Hi Doc,

I am 48 years of age. Had two children one natural birth one ceasarean. At the age of 40 I had a Hysterectomy, due to growths on the uterus, (no cancer). The Gyanae who performed the op left my ovaries so I am not on any hormone meds.

I am relatively healthy, (do have osteoporosig) but could do with losing some weight but other than that I am noticing hair where I never had hair, i.e. on my upper lip. No joke! I am a little depressed, but could be empty nest syndrome as my daugher has marreid and is now living in the UK. I do miss her terribly.

But my main concern is my complete apathy towards life. I have Zero ambition, zero zest to do anything, I used to go out of my way to prpare littel surprises for my hubby i.e. put effort into our relationship, but that is gone, I would best desribe me as being a zombie, I do what needs to be done. work, cook, clean, wash, iron, go to bed. I hate feeling like that. My mind tells me that I have so much to be satisfied about but actually I don't care either way. Not sure if I am making any sense whatsoever to you. I am sure that a Dr would laugh if I told him how I feel and have been feeling for some time. I do not believe in taking medication as they cure one thing they mess up another.

I would be most interested to hear if maybe I am just going through something which is quite normal for a woman my age.

many thanks

Sounds like a combination of menopause and maybe a bit of depression and the empty nest syndrome. I suggest you see a gynae with special interest in endocrinology.. hormones would help

1
Posted by: sadi | 2008/06/18

This could have been a description of myself. It would be interesting to read what the Gynaedoc says. Im 49, had 2 children, no ops and on no HTR. Extremely tiried at the end of the day , dont have the energy to do anything. My body feels daily if it has been hit by a train, hasnt had time to recover and the next train hits it.

Reply to sadi