Posted by: Mpho | 2008-11-10

What to expect: Baby born around week 34

Previous pregnancy i had a suture and gave birth at 36 weeks. This time around God has been with me and i going for week 27 with no stitch. from the last physical checkup it was indicated that the cervix can carry to 34 weeks - so far so good but i need to be emotionally ready and know what to expect and in case the baby arrives earlier than expected. I am praying that i get to 36 weeks. Just concerned!

Unfortunately there is no way of predicting exactly when the baby will come. If it does come before 34 weeks, there are risks of the lungs being immature. This would involve some time in the nursery. There is also then a higher chance of problems with temperature and sugar control and infections. All of this will be handled by the paediatricians should they occur.

Posted by: lilmama | 2008-11-11

Hi Thank the Lord for the mercy he has shown upon you.I gave birth to my little one at 25 weeks and this is usually known as an abortion (dont know why they call it that) her length was this of a full term but her weight was to low.Baby will go to the NICU to check vitals and that whole procedure.They will probarbly keep baby for a day or two just to be sure.Dont worry man all will be 100%.

Best of luck

Reply to lilmama
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-10

Amongs doctors like GynaeDoc, there is a couple of other doctors too. I see there is an option " Premature Baby Expert" .
Mabe you can get some reassurance there!
Good luck, hope all goes well!!

Posted by: Mpho | 2008-11-10

Ladies, thanks - i remember the stress from my first time since being born at 36 weeks my first son, his lungs were not fully developed and he was in NICU for 10 days. worst case i got so sick (near death) after the 4th day of his birth. Thus why i am thankful for this miracle now and would like to be prepared as much as possible cos the last time i really took a knock. I wish there could have been a booklet on things u should know about an early birth but now i know what to expect but one get nervous especially since my first one has to start school next year as well.

Reply to Mpho
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-10

I went into labour at 32 weeks, they managed to stop the labour. I received 7 steroid injections in the next two weeks, and then on 34 weeks and 2 days my waters ruptured and my son was born. He was in an incubator for an hour and he was perfect! I think it depends from person to person and baby to baby. I do think I was just lucky as well, but I don' t think you have TOO much to stress about, your doctor will monitor all closely and make provision for just in case your baby is born earlier than 36 weeks.

Posted by: Lin | 2008-11-10

My son was born at 35 weeks. He ws in the Neonatal ICu for 9 days. I was able to breastfeed him from day 6. And he took to it like a duck to water.
Prepare youself for kangaroo parenting - google it. Naked baby to bare chest. Studies have shown that these babies grow faster and their stay in NICU is diminished.
Aso expressing breastmilk for tubefeeding.

My son wasn' t able to breath on his own. He was connected to ALOT of machines and I had a hard time to come to grips with it. But after the shock, I asked the nurses to help me bath him on day 2 and I held him as much as possible.

They injected me with meds to develop babies lungs.

Good luck, and I' ll be praying for a healthy baby.

Reply to Lin