Question
Posted by: nina | 2008/08/21

Q.

what to eat when you have pneumonia?

My friend is in hospital,dignosed with pneumonia, what foods can she eat to build strength?
thanx

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Nina
Severe infections like pneumonia usually cause temporary anorexia in the patient, so that they don't really feel like eating lots of food. Your friend should have plenty of fruit juice and fresh fruit, yoghurt, milk shakes, smoothies (I don't know if you can make these for her - use fresh fruit, full-cream milk or yoghurt, or even ice cream - anything to encourage her to eat), with light meals of lean meat, fish or eggs and cooked vegetables. If your friend has no appetite then it may be better for her to have a liquid meal supplement like Ensure or Fresubin or any one of the other high-energy liquid meal supplements that can be purchased at the chemist. Serve the liquid meal supplements cold as this makes them more acceptable to patients who have a lack of appetite. It is also a good idea to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte until she has regained her strength. Omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules) also boost immunity.
I hope your friend will soon feel much better and recover fully. She needs to take things very easy and have lots of rest for at least 6 weeks after discharge from the hospital.

7
user comments

C.

Posted by: Maya | 2014/10/14

My aunty is suffering from pneumonia . How can i take care of her?

Reply to Maya
Posted by: Chantel | 2014/05/23

I have the same thing. Hard to eat. kinda hard to sleep. wake up with sweats. sore throat. i really wanted to know if i could drink peach juice

Reply to Chantel
Posted by: same | 2014/05/01

hello doc am having the same problem.. in the evening i sweat a lot and my breathing is short..

Reply to same
Posted by: Robert | 2014/04/11

Plz advice im suffering from persitent pneumonia .i took medicine two month ago but stil have the same problem

Reply to Robert | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/04/17

I am also experiencing the same thing, now just having my third bout of pneumonia, sore throat, phlegm, coughing, pain in left lung, fever but at night mainly... Im beside my self as to why it keeps coming back. Did u find any solution? Seila

Posted by: sylvester | 2014/04/03

Hi doctor, my friend got the same thing too but he is nt in the hospital. he is at home N takin medicine whicb is asked by doctor. m sure its because of the smoking habbit. now what can be done to get this fix. what fruit or vegetables wud help? just few tips from your end.. thanx

Reply to sylvester
Posted by: nina | 2008/08/22

Thanx a lot doc, this will help a lot

Reply to nina

Want to comment?