Question
Posted by: nomvula | 2012/04/17

what to eat to take down viral load

Im on arv treatment my cd4 is 132,my viral load is 32000, what can i eat to take down my viral caude know my cd4 is going up.Does taking garlic or aloe vera safe while on treatment safe

Dear Nomvula
It is very important the you ask the doctor who has prescribed your ARVs if garlic or aloe vera are safe to use with the specific medications you are taking for the HIV. I have read repeatedly that certain herbs, plant extracts and vitamin and mineral supplements can either interfere with the efficiency of the ARVs or cause negative side-effects. Only take supplements if the doctor has approved them. It is important to obtain as much nourishment from your diet as possible to build up your immunity. Ideally you should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If this is not possible, then contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za for excellent information on diets for HIV. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' to find the article I wrote awhile ago on "Update on HIV/AIDS & Diet". Basically HIV-patients need to eat a high-energy diet that contains plenty of proteins and protective nutrients, but because the HIV can cause problems with certain foods, they do need to have the assistance of a dietitian to monitor how they are progressing.
Holding thumbs that you can reduce the viral load.

1

Dear Nomvula