Question
Posted by: Martie | 2012/05/07

What to eat at the office for IBS

Dear Diet Doc

I am in a bit of a predicament.

I am at work all day and sit in an open plan office.

I have a bit of an irritable bowel, so that if I eat vegetables, fruits, nuts or grainy bread during work hours my abdomen swells up with air, I get terrible cramps and winds, resulting in that I have to leave my chair so often that it interferes with my work. Not to mention the discomfort of trying to work with pain and bloating.

I have found out that if I eat sweets like chips, chocolates, liquorice allsorts and cookies, my stomach is perfectly happy and I can work the whole day without any pain or discomfort. However, I have gained a bit of weight (no surprise) and am also concerned about my long term health with this eating plan. Unfortunately bread leaves me more hungry and also causes me to pick up weight.

I really need advice on what to eat during office hours that is healthy but will not cause bloating and discomfort. I have tried yogurt but the sweetened ones make me pick up weight as well and the unsweetened ones are sour and cold, I do want to enjoy what I eat here at the office otherwise I will just eat the yogurt AND some sweets thereafter.

I am out of ideas on what to eat. Any advice will be appreciated. Regards

Dear Martie
I understand that it must be most difficult to live with IBS symptoms if you are in an open-plan office (I have always regarded such offices as a form of torture and I know that I would never be able to think or do a stich of work if I was stuck in such an office!). In this type of situation, you may have to obtain medication from your medical doctor to help you control the symptoms like the gas, etc. I would also like to recommend that you discuss your menu options with a registered dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. In the meanwhile click on ‘Diet & Nutrition’ at the top of this page, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot in IBS. Try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops.
Holding thumbs that you can make your working life more manageable

3
Posted by: Jo | 2012/05/09

Over the years, I have always pre-soaked my beans, broccoli, cabbage and other " wind"  causing veggies in a pinch of bicard, this not only helps to keep the veggies crisp and green but also alleviates the IBS problem. Please do try this.
Jo

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Rowena Muller | 2012/05/09

Take charcoal tablets - solves the gas problem

Reply to Rowena Muller

Dear Martie