Question
Posted by: Ivani | 2010/12/05

What to eat and what to avoid during pregnancy..

There are so many talks about certain food items not to eat during pregnancy. I have a few that I would like confirmaton of:
Shellfish- Should I give up on prawns and mussels now? (not refering to sushi, coz I know u are not allowed to eat raw seafood and fish)
Feta cheese  items/products containing sodium 

Feta cheese is okay. Unless you are allergic to seafood, you can eat it in moderation.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2010/12/06

If you follow all the various instructions in the books and magazines you eventually won''t be able to eat anything.

My gynae told me the following:
-don''t eat anything raw
-don''t eat foods that could give you listeria - so this is things like unpasteurised soft cheeses (blue veined chesses should probably be avoided anyway as I don''t think they are fully heated or for long enough). Even when not pregnant, people shouldn''t eat or drink unpasteurised dairy products, although listeria is a very milld food poisining (except to developing babies), one runs the risk of TB, brucelosis and all sorts of other nasties.
Other things that could harbour listeria but which books never mention is salads left sitting out all day in supermarkets and soft serve ice creams as the tubing in the machines is sometimes not cleaned too well and if it hasn''t been, listeria bacteria can start to grow.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Star | 2010/12/06

I beleive everything in moderation is fine. Our grand mothers delivered healthy babies. I have had sushi twice in this pregnancy already, I just thing eat from a clean, fresh source. This is the first I hear of the prawns and mussels, but like I said, all in moderation should be fine.

Reply to Star