Question
Posted by: CFD | 2008-11-13

What to do....What to do....

I PICKED UP 20KG DURING MY PREGNANCY AND HAVE ONLY MANAGED TO LOSE 6KG. I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT, BUT I' M STILL BREAST FEEDING. ACCORDING TO MY bmi CALCULATOR I HAVE TO LOSE ABOUT 12KG TO FALL IN THE " NORMAL"  CATEGORY. WHERE DO I START? wHAT CAN I DO?

Hi Candice

I'd try to put that BMI value out of my mind as much as possible. I don't think that it's really relevant right now. Let's tackle it 1kg at a time, not 12 at a time.

I am not sure who long you've been trying to lose weight, but it might also be a bit premature. 6kg is probably close to being on track, and just give it a little more time. Execise and diet will help, and again, I'm not sure what you're doing or what you did in the past. So a lot of this is guess work.

However, my suggestion would be a combination of diet and training. First, there is diet, and I can't emphasize strongly enough how important diet is. You can train all you want but if you don't also eat very well, you won't lose weight, and so I encourage you to see a dietician or find a good diet if you are serious.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

1
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-13

Breast feed for as long as possible. Best for you and best for baby. The weight will come off by itself. Dont overdo the eating, just eat normal