Question
Posted by: vanessa | 2008/09/08

what to do with loads of wheatgerm?

dear dietdoc!
i am 16 years old and my mom recently bought a huge bag of wheatgerm that im not familiar with and so i dont reli kno wat to do with!
pls cud u give some suggestions in order not to upset her and to live a healthier lifestyle with possible weight loss solutions!
thanks =)

Dear Vanessa
Wheat germ is an excellent food being rich in vitamin E and phytonutrients. It is usually used to lower blood cholesterol levels, so I am not sure why your dear Mom presented you with this product??? Wheat germ can also be used as a general tonic, but I don't think it will assist with weightloss because it contains 1598 kJ per 100g. You can you use 1 tablespoon (480 kJ) on your breakfast cereal in the morning for a health boost. In the meanwhile divide the huge bag up into smaller portions and freeze them because wheat germ easily goes rancid if it is not frozen (esp in our hot summers). In this way you will be able to use it for a long time and to derive the nutritional benefits.
Enjoy