Question
Posted by: B | 2010-06-07

What to do next

Doc, I had a cold that cleared up except for the snotty nose. The discharge went from cleat to a thick green foul discharge. I have not had fever. As I have reactions to medication - various antibiotics as well as steroids, I am very careful to use these. So I have treated this with snorting up cooled boiled salt water 3 -4 times a day. The problem is, now after 4 weeks I have also developed sinus pain and that terrible congested headache. I used Advil CS when it was really severe and used Illiadin for 3 nights. What do you suggest I do next. (I use a cortisone nose spray daily for allergic rhinitis

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear B

Your current management plan has clearly not controlled your problem. It is possible that you are currently suffering with a resistant infection. You need to consult an ENT specialist as you require a pus swab to be taken of the discharge in order to prescribe appropriate antibiotics.
The sudden headaches is a clear indication that your problem has become more serious, and this requires urgent attention.