Posted by: P | 2009-09-18

What to do in a case like this?

Is it ok to try to become friends with a disabled person whose caregiver seems to be the only friend they have? They seem really lonely and it might be fun for them to get to know other people plus I also love to meet new people. But I' m not sure what to do because I don' t know how long I' ll still be around. It' s always sad when someone enters your life and disappears shortly after. So I wonder if trying to become friends is more selfish than helpful.

What's the harm ? Many people, disabled or otherwise, are lonely, and would appreciate friendshipm from others. What sounds healthier is your comment about also loving to meet new people, as you shouldn't do this sort of thing out of pity, but open to enjoying the disabled person themselves, too. IF forwhatever reason, you're not sure how long you'll be around ( I'm hoping you mean that for work or personal reasons you might be moving away ? ) simply mention this early on, and let the person know that you hope to be around for a while, but for reasons you should explain ( so they don't think its about them ) you might eventually be moving away in such and such a time frame. As CP Mom says, if you can form this friendship like any other frioendship, go ahead.

Posted by: CP MOM | 2009-09-19

My name CP stands for cerebral Palsy - i have a daughter who is disabled and through this site I have met CP Adult and Emma whom both are disabled.They are great friends today and I can trust them with my life.

WHy should their disability make you think to be the friend? It' s as if with any other you click.

Try it, what have you got to loose?

Reply to CP MOM