Posted by: HRHBeetjie | 2009-01-12

What to do about burnout?

Dear CyberShrink,

I did some research concerning burnout. I identified with 95% of the symtoms.

My whole attitude towards my work has changed. I use to have a positive outlook, work long hours, have immense work sattisfaction and couldn' t wait to get started on a new challenge. I enjoyed every minute at the office.

The last few months have been the absolute opposite. I dred going to work, I feel negative about all aspects of my job, I' m irate with colleagues giving me tasks. I also get imense headaches usually on Sunday evenings.

To top it all off, each company in our group will now be run seperately (I am involved in every one) which means my work load will increase three fold. I feel that no matter how hard I work I will not get through all my tasks and miss important deadlines (which have happenend on a few occasions).

I had a two and a half weeks holiday during December. I already missed the second day of work because I couldn' t motivate myself to get ot of bed.

Sometimes I consider resigning, just giving 24 hours notice, although my sense of responsibility has sofar prevented me from doing so.

Does burnout simply have to do with one' s attitude? Can I get out of this rut by positive thinking? What is the first step to " recovery" ?

Kind regards

From your description, this could indeed be burn-out, though there are other possible explanations, including Depression. If a company re-organization is going to greatly increase your workload, can't you discuss this with your boss and with HR, to see how this could be handled better, perhaps by having someone assist you with the extra work-load ?
Also, see a counsellor to work on this, preferably using a CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) approach, to identify the sources of your stress, to change the habits of thought and response which are creating this crisis, and to undo those, and find better ways of coping with the situation