Question
Posted by: Edie | 2012/09/28

What to do?

Dear CS

I would really appreciate it if you give me some guidance. My aunt, who we only found out recently, had to give up a baby for addoption 30 yrs ago. She has always been in troubling relationships with the boyfriend ending up physically abusing her. The last 6/7 years everything has really deteriated for her. She lost her job, is a full blown alchaholic and no one in the family wants to take her on as a responsibility. She is lodging at the moment and my gran, who is turning 80 next year is having to cover all her costs. What I want to know is, what is the best process to follow here? She obv need help with her drinking (she was locked up in the week due to public desturbance). She obviously also needs some counceling to get over the grief of having to give up her baby. But without funding, who could we turn to for help? I i just want to find out what thebest solution is and to get as much possible info so that we can take charge and help her but without having to commit too much as she has really alienated everyone over the last couple of years.

From your description she has a number of possibly related problems and concerns, and alcoholism may be the worst in terms of its potential for causing further damage and preventing her from dealing properly with her other problems. When it comes to the point of geting locked up for public drunkenness and disturbance, this is beciming really severe. She should ideally se a psychiatrist, preferably somebody with a particular interest in alcoholism, for a full assessment and then a discussion of treatment alternatives.
But her sincere cooperation in trestment will be needed.

2

Posted by: Tanya | 2012/09/28

A very difficult situation for a family to deal with. I commend you for seeking help for her.

May I ask what area you are from, and if your aunt would willingly go into a rehab centre?

Reply to Tanya