Question
Posted by: unsure | 2010/05/28

what to do

A few days ago my girlfriend and i split as i felt i cannot tell my parents that i want to be with her because she is of a different religion.Today she tells me she is pregnant which i think is true as the signs were there.i am so confused what do i tell my parents now,do i marry her or do we stay separate and i look after the child.Either way i will probably be kicked out my home.My mind at the moment is all over the place and i dont know what to do.Please help.

Sounds like a couple of other recent questions we have received. OK, you may not want to upset your parents, but by not only having a love affair but also a sexual affair with someone you knew they disapproved of, you knew you were running the risk of bothering them. But they also have a duty to be sensible and realistic, and face facts in the modern world. What religion do you belong to that would approve of you even thinking of dumping the woman you made pregnant, and even imagining not holding to your absolute ( and legal, by the way ) duty to look after the child ?
If you're old enough to father a child, you're old enough to move out and make your own life, and maybe you're old enough to be man enough to act responsibly here, and to marry the woman you love and take full responsibility for caring for YOUR CHILD.
One respects ones parents, but we don't have a duty to respect their prejudices at the cost of ignoring our more basic and holy duties towards others, or at the cost of behaving immorally ( which ignoring your child and its mother would be ) ; just to keep them feeling happy.

1